Sunday, November 23, 2014

Training Runs

     I'm going to run the 50 mile trail race at the Brazos Bend 100 on Saturday Dec 13th. I am using this race as a training run. My goal is to maintain a 10 minute mile pace, that equates to 8 hours and 20 minutes, but I also have to factor in maybe 30 more minutes for aid station stops to hydrate and refuel or solve any unexpected problems. So that should be right around an 8 hours and 50 minutes finish time. BOOM!! The idea is to see where my training is at and how much work is left to do for Destin. It's not uncommon for endurance athletes to use a race as an opportunity to train hard to be ready to compete at another event. It's all a process.
    I have been maintaining 55 to 65 mile weeks for the last two months and will increase that to 70 to 80 mile weeks through December and January for Destin in February. The key and essential component - back to back long runs. I have had a lot of success with this method. It builds strength and endurance along with teaching your body to function while being tired. Yesterday (saturday) at the Spring Creek Greenway trail, I ran 30 miles and stayed right around a 10:30 mile pace and then ran 15 miles today, with my husband pacing me we maintained a 9:45 mile pace all the way through. I feel strong and can tell the training is now starting to come around. I'm really looking forward to the Brazos Bend 50 event then sharing the time over New Year's Eve and New Year's Day at Snowdrop 55 Hr helping my husband achieve a long time goal for him. All of this work has an ultimate goal, that being the Destin 24 Hr run in February. I'm going to take a run (no pun intended) at something pretty big and special. I will spend some more time talking about that as we get closer to February. 

No comments:

Post a Comment