Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Company Picnic

    The Destin Beach Ultra Run - 24 hour event - is the big race I'm training and gearing up for in February 2015. The Race Director created this particular race event with the main focus on raising awareness and funds for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. The SOWF has been providing the children of our fallen Special Operators, in all the branches of service, the opportunity to get and complete their college educations for the last 30 years. This will be my fourth year to be a part of this fundraising event and endurance competition. In the first 5 years of this endurance event they have raised a total of $134,000. 
    On Saturday Nov 1st, my company had their annual employee picnic. It featured a petting zoo, games, train rides and even a zip line for all the kids to enjoy. I think I even caught a couple of the parents putting their karaoke talents on display. I joined in the fun and set up a vendor booth to get donations for SOWF in exchange for origami paper wallets that I make.
I met and talked with so many of my fellow employees and met new friends from other departments. Getting my name out there and helping out the charity with the funds that were donated was awesome. I enjoyed sharing stories and displaying my medals and awards from the Destin Beach Ultra.
I appreciated the many different reactions and questions people had about ultra running. I raised a total of $100 for SOWF. Thank you to all of my fellow employees that donated. If anyone else would like to donate or find out more about the SOWF and spread the word around, here is the link. http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/jeanhofschulte/destin-beach-ultra-runs-2015
  Or www.firstgiving.com   Then search my name Jean Hofschulte 
    

1 comment:

  1. Great idea for a very worthwhile fundraiser - and a terrific looking booth!

    ReplyDelete