Sunday, November 30, 2014

Running Shoes


      Shopping for most things is definitely not my forte. Now, if it has anything to do with running clothes or gear I'm always interested. The new pair of La Sportiva Vertical K trail shoes arrived at my door yesterday and needless to say I was excited.
I'm going to wear them for the Brazos Bend 50 Mile race. Oh, the smell of a brand new pair of shoes! It's just like that great new car smell and who doesn't like that! It's to bad that after the first time I lace them up and go for a long run on the trails they will look just as dirty and worn as the rest of them on my storage rack. But that is when they achieve a greater level of status. Instead of laying around in a box, now they have some dirt, grit and grime. Probably a new blemish or two and after running in the rain or mud they now have character. Serving the purpose they were built to do, each run is now a story to tell. 
     I rotate through several pairs of shoes as do most distance runners I'm sure. Currently I have 7 pair of trail shoes and 5 pair of road shoes. I keep track of and spread the mileage out between all of them. I'm able to get around 350 to 400 miles on a pair then I donate them to a local children's charity for kids that can't afford shoes. The shoes still have plenty of life in them just not for running long distance. 
     Running is basically an inexpensive sport. So if you don't need to get really high tech and connected, you just need a good pair of shoes, some simple clothing items and you're ready to hit the road. When I first started out I had the hardest time finding the right pair of shoes. The running store employees were talking to me in a foreign language - pronate, supinate, wide toe box, cushion, stability, neutral gait, heel or mid foot strike, one size bigger (WHAT! I already have big feet so why would I want an even bigger size). At first it seemed like a complicated algebra problem and I didn't know the formula. It can be a little frustrating at first, but it's worth having the right pair of shoes. Once again the tried and true method of trial and error has solved the problem. When you find the right shoes it's a lot easier to get that next pair. It's a process! I get asked frequently by people starting out their running life - What is the best running shoe? What brand of shoe do you wear? The very best running shoe is the one that fits your foot correctly, feels comfortable and you like. How many awesome stories can all of your running kicks Tell?
    30 mile run yesterday and a 15 miler with my husband today, getting those new shoes dirty!

No comments:

Post a Comment