Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Pushing through....Fun?

     My friends John and Katie (they been have been married a long time) have a passion they share in their life. They like to 'bicycle', as he calls it, riding really long distances while site seeing, touring and  experiencing the countryside along with its different cultures. Every year they take a hiatus from work, pick a new destination and go on an adventure ride. Admiring their free spirits, we understand each other's passion. Mine for running long distances and theirs for riding long distances. Our conversations usually involve something about gear, fueling and hydration. Our mind sets are very similar. It's very much about being able to push through. 
   I had to chuckle when John sent me this text a few days into his latest adventure. 
  ''You once told me the start of a long race lacks fun, but then, when you find your groove, it becomes fun.  Well, I'm riding my bicycle, solo, across western Canada, and the first 3 or 4 days were a grind.  But now it's fun.  Started in YVR, over 4 named mountain passes, now in Lake Louise. Will meet up w/ Katie tomorrow night in YYC, and together head east bound.  Goal, (might be possible), is the Terry Fox memorial statue just outside''.  
     Pushing through and grinding is exactly what I experienced this morning during my first training run on the local trails. I had to remind myself that I was having fun. Road running and trail running, are two completely different styles and surfaces. I have been doing most of my training on pavement lately for the Maui Marathon and up coming Huntsville Half Marathon, now it's time to hit the dirt trails and kick it up a notch for my future races. Wow, what a difference on my leg muscles. More endurance training is needed. I had to focus, concentrate and look ahead to see where I was going to plant my next footstep without tripping on roots or stepping on any critters. Chasing away the early morning cobwebs and also running through a few along the trail is always an added challenge for me since I do not like spiders. Yuck! Another hot and humid day in Houston. Even the beautiful canopy of trees are great for shade but it also locks in the stagnate hot air making it hard to settle in my breathing. Am I having fun yet? It wasn't pretty but I got it done, 10 miles of a trail workout, I'm  completely soaked and exhausted but I went home with a smile on my face knowing that every run will get better and stronger. That's why they call it training. 

No comments:

Post a Comment