Monday, February 23, 2015

Destin part 1

   The Destin Beach Ultra weekend isn't all about crazy long distance running. To kick the weekend off there is a 5k race for family, friends and crew to enjoy the sun and sand Saturday morning. My friends Diane and Kent who drove in from Louisiana to help crew and my husband all joined in the fun and got those first early miles in on the sand. I watched and helped out the race director, Zane, handing out finisher medals. It was such a beautiful morning with perfect temperatures and conditions. I just couldn't help but think to myself this is shaping up to be a great day. As my crew finished their run they enjoyed a few post race beers and we were off to take on the rest of this perfect day.
    Kent accompanied me to the packet pick up and trail brief at 11am, I think under strict orders from my husband/coach to make sure I didn't use too much energy. The Destin Beach Ultra has created so many long lasting friendships for me and I always enjoy catching up and seeing my long distance family. After that it was back to the condo for my power pre race lunch and nap before the 4pm start. The weather was still picture perfect and beautiful. I was actually a little jumpy, nervous and excited thinking this was shaping up to be a record breaking day! I really wanted the chance. Wow, it's surprising to see how fast the weather can change.
The start time temperature was a perfect 61 with gorgeous full sun, falling into clear skies and nighttime temperatures of 42. I've been on the sand several times before and trained for every detail of this course, I was ready for this race. Ok, because I don't live right on the coast line I did forget one thing...the Wind! The full brute force of Mother Nature and her howling screaming wind decided to pay us a visit. It is extremely hard to train for that kind of strong coastal wind.
 
    When the race began at 4pm it was high tide. Everyone was having a difficult time picking a line to run for the one mile out and back course. If you ran high on the beach you were in the deep fluffy powdery sand or you could run low and deal with the strong surf and your feet staying wet. I chose to stay up higher on the beach. My plan was to break the milage up into smaller parts, finishing every 20 miles under 4hours. Starting out it takes me awhile to settle into a good rhythm. I wasn't worried about losing a little time in the wind because I knew I could make it up on the second set of 20 miles especially since everyone said the wind wouldn't last that long. The wind was a steady 22-25mph with gusts up to 30. I couldn't even hear my crew talking to me unless I was right next to them. Wearing clear vision glasses at night helped protect my eyes from the wind and blowing sand. Talk about a free spa treatment of sea salt and sand microdermabrasion! I came through the first 18 miles in 4:28 and that was not a good start. But I remained focused, positive and determined to push through. I was told that 4 people had already dropped out of the race after only 5 hours. Wow it had only just begun! My legs were really starting to feel the effects of the deep sand and wind pushing me back. I had to figure out quickly how to conserve energy, I decided to power walk into the wind then at the turn around run with the wind at my back hopefully making up some time. Not enough time though, after 7 hours I was still way behind schedule to break the course record or even get close to it at this point. Finding out 3 more people had dropped out, I readjusted my goals trying to stay strong and positive. High tide was receding and exposing the hard compacted sand so it was time to try and take advantage of this new running surface. I got a second "wind" even though Mother Nature wasn't letting up. I had completed 58 miles in 14:30, the sun was rising with a new day ahead and the wind decided to calm down. Finally WooHoo! With a smile on my face all I could do at this point was keep moving forward. My legs were trashed and I was beaten down by the night's constant wind. My crew kept me going throughout the night with hot food and drinks and always encouraging me forward. By 1:30pm on Sunday only 2 1/2 hours remained in the race I was at 78 miles. Digging deep my new goal was to reach 90 miles. My feet had been wet for awhile now and I was feeling a blister begin so I took the time to change into dry socks. It was a big relief but it also cost me some time on the course. No worries though, I knew if I kept up a steady pace I was going to be the Female Winner. I crossed the finish line with 84 miles completed. I was the female winner and 3rd place overall. 
    Stay tuned Destin part 2 blog.... My Amazing husband and crew and Paige the inspiration that pushed me throughout the night. 

1 comment:

  1. Great recap by a true champion of a brutal race. So proud of and for my friend Jean. She is one tough cookie.

    ReplyDelete